Jarrow FC vs Easington Colliery

Dominant Easington beaten at Jarrow

A dominant Easington Colliery side were beaten 3-2 at Jarrow FC on Saturday afternoon.

The Colliers looked the brighter throughout, especially in the first half.

Jay Redman fired Easington into a 12th minute lead and David Paul doubled that lead in the 17th minute. With only their second shot and first that was on target, Jarrow pulled one back in the 43rd minute seconds after Paul had hit the post with a free-kick and a powerful header pulled them level just before half-time.

The Colliers, although not as dominant as they were in the first half, were still on top in the second 45 minutes but couldn’t add to their tally and Max Kirkham volleyed home Jarrow’s winner 10 minutes from time.

Easington were missing players such as Jack Pounder and Reece Kenney but a big squad travelled to Perth Green. Twenty-two players made the trip with six unable to make the 16 man squad.

Easington started strongly but it was Jarrow who had the first sight of goal as Grant Pressling took aim from 20 yards but his effort was dragged well wide.

David Vincent and Liam Adamson were both whipping some fine ball into the penalty area in the opening 10 minutes but Jarrow dealt with them.

In the 12th minute, the Colliers broke the deadlock. Redman collected possession on the edge of the penalty area and his powerful effort took a deflection before nestling into the net.

All was good for the Colliers at this point as free-flowing football on an excellent surface was proving too much for the hosts.

Jake Metcalf tried his luck from long-range with quarter of an hour on the clock but Gary Frater saved.

There was nothing Frater could do about the next chance though. Logan Powell’s good work found Paul and he wriggled past a defender before firing home from 12 yards.

Kyle Donaldson, who had very little to do in the first half, was forced into a routine save in the 21st minute as Jarrow recorded their first shot on target.

Redman played in Adamson for Easington soon after but a tight call ruled Adamson offside and Easington seemed settled at 0-2 at this point.

An Easington penalty shout was then turned away and two minutes later, Adamson fired over after Vincent’s original effort had been charged down.

The 43rd minute could be described as a game-changing moment. Paul took responsibility for a free-kick and curled it round the wall but it bounced back off the post with the ‘keeper beaten. Jarrow broke and a deep cross found Nick Quinn who volleyed home.

And, two minutes later, with only their third shot on target, Jarrow pulled level. A free-kick was curled into the penalty area and a bullet header from Jordan Mellish hit the underside of the crossbar before dropping into the net.

Easington had the majority of possession early in the second half but Jarrow soon broke and Kirkham forced a save from Donaldson.

Kieran Mitchell then had a shot blocked before Redman was brought down right on the line of the penalty area but the referee awarded a free-kick rather than a penalty. The resulting free-kick was blocked by the wall.

Just before the hour mark, an Easington cross caused havoc in the penalty area but neither Adamson or Redman could convert in the six-yard box.

Adamson then curled over while a Jarrow free-kick came to the same fate. More room was evident in the final quarter of an hour as the game opened up due to tired legs. The fresh legs of Michael Cooke helped Easington in the closing stages but it was Jarrow who scored the decisive goal. A deep cross found Kirkham and he volleyed home to give Jarrow their first ever Northern League win.

Full-time: Jarrow FC 3-2 Easington Colliery

Next up to me is probably Durham Women vs Middlesbrough Women tomorrow.

Easington Colliery: Donaldson, Freeman (Whitehead, 78′), Metcalf (Appleby, 84′), Pearson (c), Hailes, Mitchell, Vincent, Powell (Cooke, 64′), Paul, Redman, Adamson

Unused subs: Bulmer, Thompson

Jarrow FC: Frater, Smith, Featherson, Attewell, Mellish, Bone (Murray, 90′), Hirst, Little (McFarlane, 70′), Pressling (Martin, 58’), Quinn, Kirkham

Unused subs: Wilkinson, Simpson

Admission: £5 adults, £3 concessions

Programme: £1

Referee: Bernard Law

Attendance: 130











Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s