Gateshead vs Guiseley

There wasn’t a great deal of choice for games this week. This game was originally meant to be played on Saturday but was postponed due to a frozen pitch and rearranged for last night. I had planned to go last night but it was postponed due to another frozen pitch. I thought about going to South Shields vs Sunderland RCA but didn’t bother in the end and chose to do this game tonight. I thought that I had seen Gateshead in a competitive game already this season but it turns out I haven’t. I watched them beat Motherwell in pre-season but other than that, tonight was my first trip of the season to watch Gateshead. I’ll be back in six days time when they host Hartlepool United but I’ll be in the away end that day. I worked out yesterday that this game tonight would be my 153rd game of 2017. That’s quite a bit down on my 181 games for 2016. Since July 2014, I’ve done 611 games.

Match report:

Gateshead clinch FA Trophy Second Round spot with 121st minute winner

Gateshead clinched a spot in the Second Round of the FA Trophy on Wednesday night as Theo Vassell’s 121st minute winner gave them a 2-1 win over Guiseley.

Richard Peniket had fired Gateshead into a 29th minute lead but Guiseley responded through Rowan Liburd in the 59th minute.

On a night where the two sides had agreed to go to extra-time and penalties rather than a replay, extra-time was needed and Vassell poked home right at the death to take Gateshead into the Second Round.

The Heed will now host Boreham Wood in the Second Round.

Gateshead started with Danny Johnson and Jordan Burrow leading the line, while there was also a place for the returning Scott Barrow.

In a lively start, both sides won early corners but little came of them.

Gateshead’s corner was cleared as far as Peniket but his effort was charged down. The rebound fell his way too but this time he blazed wide.

Guiseley had a strong penalty shout turned down in the eighth minute. James Roberts’ clever work gave him an opportunity and a slight nudge in the back sent him to the ground but the referee waved away the penalty appeals.

With the first shot on target, Barrow tried his luck from the edge of the penalty area but his effort was straight at Guiseley’s Jonny Maxted.

Gateshead were looking dangerous going forward but just seemed to be lacking a bit in the final third.

Callum Williams and Jordan Preston were constant threats but they couldn’t carve out any clear chances.

Having looked the brighter in the early exchanges, Gateshead broke the deadlock in the 29th minute. Peniket collected possession 20 yards out and danced through two defenders before placing an effort into the far bottom corner.

Guiseley looked for an immediate response and half chances fell the way of Liburd and Alex-Ray Harvey but neither could find the target.

A last-ditch challenge from Barrow prevented Liburd a goalscoring opportunity five minutes from time and the Heed went into the break with a narrowly lead.

Liburd almost pulled the visitors level in the 54th minute. Callum McFadzean whipped a teasing cross into the penalty area to find Liburd but his glancing header darted narrowly wide.

The Lions went close again a minute later as Roberts teed up substitute Mike Fondop-Talom but he couldn’t find the target.

Guiseley’s pressure paid off just before the hour mark as they pulled level. A low cross wasn’t dealt with and it bounced kindly to Liburd who slotted home.

Only three minutes later, the visitors almost took the lead. Gateshead’s Fraser Kerr looked to head the ball back to goalkeeper James Montgomery but Fondop-Talom nipped in and played the ball over Montgomery. Thankfully for the Heed, Kerr managed to quickly get back and denied Fondop-Talom what would have been an open goal.

Following a quiet spell, Peniket went close to regaining Gateshead’s lead. The former Wales Under-21 international drilled a low effort from 25 yards that just say evaded the far corner.

Raul Correia forced a saved from Montgomery quarter of an hour from time and at this point, both sides fancied their chances of snatching a winner.

In the final 10 minutes, Gateshead looked the more likely to snatch a winner. Johnson had a great chance in the 88th minute but he decided to shoot towards the near post when going across goal was probably his better option.

However, neither side could find a winner in 90 minutes and extra-time was required.

Upon the restart, Maxted was called into action in the Guiseley goal. The former Hartlepool United stopper produced a fine save to tip Barrow’s effort behind for a corner

Seconds later, Maxted was forced into another save. This time, he prevented a relatively tame effort from Peniket.

In the second half of extra-time, the lively Fondop-Talom fired a matter of inches over the crossbar after cutting in and the same man drilled another effort into the side-netting in the 118th minute.

Just as penalties loomed over the International Stadium, Gateshead grabbed their winner. Barrow whipped a free-kick into the penalty area to find find York at the near post and he prodded home to send Gateshead into the Second Round.

Full-time (after extra-time): Gateshead 2-1 Guiseley

Next up for me is Easington Colliery vs Tow Law Town on Saturday.

Gateshead: Montgomery, Tinkler, Byrne (c), Kerr, Barrow, Peniket (O’Donnell, 110′) Penn, Williams (Vassell, 103′) Preston (York, 84′) Johnson, Burrow

Unused subs: Fyfield, MacLeod

Guiseley: Maxted, Palmer (c), Lawlor, Brown, McFadzean, Purver, Harvey, Crookes, Roberts (Rooney, 78′), Liburd (Correia, 64′), Odejayi (Fondop-Talom, 46′)

Unused subs: Lenighan, Koute Niate

Admission: £10 adults, £5 concessions, £3 students/16-17-year-olds, Free Under-16s

Attendance: 290 (11 from Guiseley)

Programme: £2.50

Hot dog: £2.70

Bottle of Coke: £1.60

Referee: Ryan Johnson


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s