Horden CW vs Wolviston

The scheduled game for today was Blyth AFC vs Easington Colliery and I was quite surprised that it was called off. Not only that it was called off, but how early it was called off. We received an email at 16:30 yesterday saying that it was off due to a waterlogged pitch. There was standing water all over the pitch. Unlike last time when our game at Easington was called off on a Saturday, I didn’t fancy a trip anywhere today and I would have preferred an earlier kick-off. This game provided a perfect opportunity for that. Although I’ve watched them a few times, I’ve never seen Horden play in a competitive game. I watched them pre-season and now twice this season but it has been a mid-season friendly on both occasions.

Today’s game got underway with Horden looking the brighter. Half chances fell the way of Haydn Pace and Robbie Renwick before the latter had the ball in the net in the eighth minute. Jonny Payne’s superb ball over the top was worked into the penalty area where Renwick poked home but he was ruled offside.

Five minutes later, Pace was played in and attempted to lob Chris Davidson but the former Horden CW goalkeeper was able to save.

Halfway through the second half, Wolviston grew into the game and began to look dangerous. Despite looking dangerous and creating a couple of chances, they never really looked like breaking the deadlock.

In the 33rd minute, Horden almost broke the deadlock. After a cross had held up in the air, the ball dropped kindly to a Horden man whose first time effort would have certainly put the Durham Alliance outfit ahead had it been anywhere but straight at Davidson.

Four minutes later, at the other end, Wolviston went even closer to breaking the deadlock. A teasing corner was whipped into the penalty area where a Wolviston header was destined for the net until it was cleared off the line.

The two sides went into the break level but either could have been ahead.

Twelve minutes into the second half, Horden broke the deadlock. Renwick collected possession on the edge of the penalty area and took aim. His effort was saved by Davidson but the Wolviston ‘keeper could only push it up rather than out and it eventually dropped into the net.

Looking for an immediate response, Wolviston created numerous chances from a corner but Horden defended well and kept the Wearside League outfit at bay.

On a heavy pitch, chances continued to come at both ends with the best of the bunch falling to Renwick for Horden but he dragged a matter of inches wide.

Ten minutes from time, an inswinging Wolviston free-kick found their man totally unmarked at the back post but his cushioned volley bounced back off the crossbar.

However, the visitors were to pull level two minutes later. A corner was swung into the near post and Horden failed to clear meaning Tony Johnson stabbed home an equaliser.

Full-time: Horden CW 1-1 Wolviston

Next up for me is Durham Women vs Doncaster Rovers Belles tomorrow.

Admission: Free (donation to club)

Attendance: 22

Programme: No

Can of Coke: 50p

1 Comment

  1. Pingback: This week on Teesside: 10th-16th February | The Teesside Football Blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s