Ryhope CW vs Bishop Auckland

Firstly, I’ll apologise in case any of this is not how it should be! WordPress have made me use a new layout and when I first published it, it was all just one paragraph! Hopefully I’ve sorted that out. Some weeks in the Northern League, there is a full fixture list of midweek games. Other weeks, there are only a couple. And they seem to be rather randomly distributed throughout the weeks. There’s not a great deal of games I could do this midweek. Following this game tonight, I’ll be at Sunderland U18s vs Oldham Athletic U18s in the FA Youth Cup on Thursday night. I’ll also be covering that game for the FA as part of their Young Reporters scheme. What I’ll put on here will be very different to what I write for them. It’ll be Friday before that is published though so I’ll probably put a link to it on a report over the weekend. The weekend is looking rather busy for me. I’ll be at Thornaby vs Easington Colliery on Saturday (I had just finished doing the programme for that game when I found out that it had been reversed and that Thornaby were now the home team!) and then I’ll have two games on Saturday – Sunderland Ladies vs Derby County Ladies and then Hartlepool United vs Barnet.

Match report:

Bishop Auckland climb to second with win at Ryhope CW

Bishop Auckland climbed to second in Northern League Division One with a 5-2 win away at Ryhope CW on Tuesday night.

James Ellis put Ryhope ahead after just 43 seconds, but Callum Patton pulled Bishop level in the fifth minute.

Patton’s second in the 11th minute put the visitors ahead, but Micky Rae’s strike just after the half hour mark levelled the affair.

However, second half goals from Andrew Johnson, Kyle Fryatt and Chris Salmon ensured Bishop took all three points.

The hosts couldn’t have hoped for a better start as they took the lead after only 43 seconds. A clever dinked ball played Ellis in and he shook off his marker before drilling an effort into the bottom corner.

However, with their first real chance, Bishop pulled level. Ryhope goalkeeper Jonathan Ball initially did well to prevent a big chance, but he brought down Andrew Johnson in the penalty area only a few seconds later and Bishop had a penalty. Ball did guess correctly, but Patton’s penalty had too much power and found the bottom corner.

Matty Weirs took aim as the hosts looked to regain their lead in the seventh minute, but his effort proved a comfortable save for Nick Liversedge.

Ben Riding then headed a Rae cross into Liversedge’s hands, before Bishop took the lead in the 12th minute.

Good football from the visitors worked the ball to Shaun Ryder, but his effort was saved. However, the rebound fell to Patton who drilled home from 18 yards.

Despite being behind, Ryhope CW had probably edged it up to this point.

And they continued to create chances. Ellis had an effort pushed behind for a corner after a throw had been flicked on, before Rae’s curling free-kick wasn’t too far away after Robbie Bird had been fouled.

Following a quiet spell, Bishop had a spell of pressure deep in the Ryhope half but it came to nothing.

In the 33rd minute, the hosts pulled level. Darren Richardson was dispossessed in the centre of the park and beautiful link up play between Bird and Corey Nicholson found the latter in a crossing position. His low cross found Rae and he finished well.

Nicholson then tried his luck himself. Having cut in from the wing, he took aim from 20 yards but his effort was deflected into the hands of Liversedge.

Two minutes before the break, the crossbar came to Bishop’s rescue. The latter of a couple of Ryhope corners saw Ellis’ dead ball pick out the towering Riding but his header crashed back off the bar.

Controversy came in the final seconds of normal time. A strong challenge on Johnson had the Bishop forward go down screaming, and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. Ryhope appealed as their defender had connected with the ball and the referee then decided to change his mind and award a free-kick which came to nothing.

Deep in injury time, Ryhope almost took the lead. A slight scramble eventually found Ellis, but his effort was cleared off the line.

Bishop Auckland started the second half well and they took the lead two minutes in. A couple of half chances in the penalty area weren’t taken, but then the ball dropped kindly to Johnson whose bicycle kick found the net to regain Bishop’s lead.

Chris Winn and Johnson linked up well for Bishop as they looked to double their lead, and the former was fouled on the edge. The former Washington man dusted himself down the take responsibility, but his effort couldn’t find the target.

Winn and Patton both then had efforts saved, and Bishop were starting to take control.

In the 63rd minute, the visitors did double their lead. The Two Blues won possession through a tackle in their own penalty area, and a quick break saw Winn drive through numerous bodies before eventually teeing up Fryatt who finished well.

Ryder fired harmlessly wide from long-range as Bishop looked to kill the game off, before Rae had a chance at the other end but he was charged down.

Johnson poked over after Fryatt’s good work with 12 minutes to play, before a great save from Liversedge denied Rae of halving the deficit at the other end.

Substitute Salmon, who had missed a good chance a couple of minutes earlier, sealed the win for Bishop a few seconds into injury time. The former Whitley Bay man burst down the wing before cutting in and drilling a fine effort in off the far post to cap off a good night for Bishop Auckland.

Full-time: Ryhope CW 2-5 Bishop Auckland

Next up for me is Sunderland U18s vs Oldham Athletic U18s on Thursday night.

Ryhope CW: Ball, Woods, Shaw, Riding (c), Lay, Trewick, Weirs, Nicholson, Rae, Bird, Ellis (Ellison, 62′)

Unused subs: Atkinson, Cocks, Ryan

Bishop Auckland: Liversedge, Hoganson, Munro, Ryder, Galbraith, Gibbons (Salmon, 74′), Fryatt, Patton (c) (Hart, 83′), Winn (Marshall, 64′), Johnson, Richardson

Unused subs: Fenwick, Robinson

Admission: £6 adults, £4 concessions

Programme: £1

Attendance: 120

Chips: £1.50

Can of Pepsi Max Cherry: £1

Referee: Jack Gordon

1 Comment

  1. Hello there I am so happy I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while I was looking on Bing for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a remarkable post and a all round
    entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to read it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have
    time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep
    up the excellent work.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s