Seaham Red Star vs Consett

It’s definitely going to be a busy end to the season for us at Easington Colliery following today’s postponement. We’re now five games behind most Northern League Division Two sides and we’re seven behind the likes of Thornaby and Ryton & Crawcrook Albion. With Easington’s trip to Brandon being postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, I had a decision to make regarding a game. I probably could have gone to Swallownest with Katie Wallace and Lee Stewart, but I decided for a cheaper option having spent quite a bit at the darts in Newcastle on Thursday night. It was a great night as the darts always is. Anyway, I narrowed my choices down to two games – this or Hartlepool Untied vs Leyton Orient and I opted for this for two reasons. 1) It was cheaper and 2) It’s a couple of weeks since I was even last at a Northern League game! The forthcoming week is looking much busier than the last couple have. Tomorrow I’ll be at Durham Women vs Cardiff City Ladies and then I’ll be at Sunderland U23s vs Peterborough United U23s on Monday. I’ll be at Middlesbrough Women vs Sunderland Ladies on Wednesday night, and then probably Sunderland vs Accrington Stanley on Friday before Easington’s game on Saturday.

Match report:

Ten-man Seaham claim hard earned win over Consett

Ten-man Seaham Red Star battled for a 1-0 win at home to Consett on Saturday afternoon.

On a very windy afternoon, Liam Gillesphey’s 31st minute header proved the difference between the sides.

Consett dominated much of the game late on, but they couldn’t find the net and Seaham took the points.

Seaham played the majority of the second half with 10 men following David Robinson’s dismissal for a second yellow card.

In the early exchanges, Consett played a couple of through balls into Aksel Juul, but good defending kept him at bay.

With quarter of an hour played, a poor goalkick gifted Seaham a chance. Kyle Hayes’ poor kick was picked up by Robinson who played Dan Wilson in. However, his effort lacked power and was saved.

Juul fired narrowly over as a corner found him on the edge of the penalty area in the 18th minute, before Seaham’s Robinson fired a free-kick over at the other end.

Shortly after, a long Seaham throw was flicked on to find Joe Hailes at the back post. His strike was well struck, but it was matched by a smart save from Hayes.

Luke Carr curled a free-kick harmlessly wide for the visitors, before Robinson fired over once again at the other end.

Seaham’s lead came just after the half hour mark. Robinson floated a corner towards the back post where Gillesphey rose highest to head home.

Little happened for the remainder of the first half, but Seaham’s Chris Bannon was forced into a save in injury time. Darren Holden drilled a fine low cross into the six-yard box and Bannon’s reaction save prevented a first time Michael Mackay effort.

Following the break, Consett thought they had pulled level in the 53rd minute. A wide free-kick went all the way through to Bannon, and he couldn’t hold the bouncing ball. It bounced towards the net and the assistant referee raised his flag. Consett presumed the ball had crossed the line, but the assistant was actually flagging for offside.

Only a minute later, Seaham were reduced to 10 men. It was a 50/50 and the referee, who seemed to produce a card for every foul in the first half, wasn’t going to give anything until Consett reacted. When the reaction came, the referee awarded Consett a free-kick and sent Robinson off for a second bookable offence.

As Consett looked to capitalise on the man advantage, Juul dinked a fine ball towards the back post, but no one was there to connect with it.

Just after the hour mark, a deep Consett free-kick found Daniel Craggs at the back post. He headed it back across goal for Nick Green, but his header was too high.

After Seaham’s red card, the game was all Consett.

Substitute Matty Cornish had a couple of efforts come to nothing halfway through the second half, before Carr fired over in the 70th minute.

A crucial headed block prevented Cornish again in the 73rd minute, before Nick Cassidy’s low effort was saved.

With 10 minutes to play, Craggs’ effort clipped the outside of the post after good work from Cornish.

A member of the Seaham management team was sent to the stand late on, and Consett’s pressure kept coming.

Daniel Hawkins and Juul both had efforts saved in injury time.

Despite the continuous pressure from Consett, Seaham held on and claimed an impressive three points.

Full-time: Seaham Red Star 1-0 Consett

Next up for me is Durham Women vs Cardiff City Ladies tomorrow.

Seaham Red Star: Bannon, Young, Weldon, Joe Hailes, Myers, Gillesphey, Clark, Gardiner, Wilson, Robinson (c), Chilton (Daniel Hailes, 74′)

Unused subs: Greenwood, Cullen, Johnson, Wilkinson

Consett: Hayes, Green, Holden, Cassidy, Purewal, McKinnon, Craggs (c), Slocombe (Hawkins, 76′), Juul, Carr, Mackay (Cornish, 59′)

Unused subs: Allen, Male, Coombe

Admission: £6 adults, £3 concessions

Programme: £1

Attendance: 145

Chips and gravy: £1.70

Referee: Stephen Dial


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s