Chester-le-Street Town vs Easington Colliery

Colliers come from behind to draw at Chester-le-Street

Easington Colliery came from behind twice to claim a 3-3 draw at Chester-le-Street Town on Saturday afternoon.

Rhys Turnbull put the hosts ahead in the 18th minute, and Andrew Clarkson’s goal two minutes later gave the Colliers a mountain to climb.

However, Niall McGoldrick’s header halved the deficit, and Josh Home-Jackson’s strike pulled the Colliers level going into the break.

Clarkson’s second put the hosts ahead again early in the second half, but Liam Adamson’s 80th minute strike ensured the points were shared.

Two changes were made from Thursday’s win over Heaton Stannington with Lewis Green and Jake Metcalf coming in for Jak Ashton and David Vincent.

Upon kick-off, the Colliers created a chance within 60 seconds. James Talbot’s cross found Jack Pounder at the back post, but he couldn’t guide a header on target.

Chester-le-Street’s first chance came when Clarkson had a header comfortably saved by Keith Finch, before Easington went up the other end where Kyle Middleton had an effort deflected behind for a corner.

Brennan Ball was next to try his luck for the Colliers, but he could only drag harmlessly wide.

Chester-le-Street’s opener came in the 18th minute. A corner was swung into the penalty area and bypassed everyone. Turnbull got the slightest of touches on it, and that was enough to guide it into the net.

Less than three minutes later, the hosts doubled their lead. Clarkson picked up possession after a cross was only partially cleared, and his good finish picked out the bottom corner.

As the first half wore on, Chester-le-Street were dominating the affair. They had a few other chances around the half hour mark that the Colliers were lucky to get away with.

As the rain became heavier, the Colliers became more dangerous. A Talbot corner dropped to Home-Jackson 12 yards out in the 33rd minute, but he could only drill over.

Easington’s first came in the 35th minute. A ball into the penalty area found McGoldrick whose header seemed to be in slow motion, but it managed to creep into the near bottom corner.

Only three minutes later, a fine turn around saw Easington level the scoreline. Talbot’s scuffed shot turned into a cross and found Middleton. He pulled the ball back to Home-Jackson who finished well.

That proved to be that after a first half of four goals, torrential rain and thunder and lightning.

Chester-le-Street regained their lead six minutes into the second half. Clarkson stole an inch of room from Metcalf before drilling a fine effort into the roof of the net at the near post.

Pounder then fired a free-kick over as the Colliers looked to respond, before the same man had a powerful effort well saved by Jack Wilson.

On the hour mark, substitute Vincent fired an Easington effort wide from 20 yards.

A short spell of little followed, before Chester-le-Street were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position after Middleton was penalised for handball. Craig Marron took responsibility of the free-kick, but he curled it wide of the top corner.

In the 75th minute, the Colliers went agonisingly close to equalising. Middleton’s cross-cum-shot bounced back off the post with Wilson beaten. The rebound fell to Adamson, but his effort was saved by Wilson from point-blank range.

Wilson was forced into another good save to prevent Pounder soon after, before Vincent fired narrowly wide after being teed up by Pounder.

Former Collier Harry Wood went close for Chester-le-Street seconds after his introduction. He burst down the left wing before cutting in, but his shot failed to find the target.

The game was 80 minutes old when the Colliers equalised for a second time. Pounder beat the offside trap and raced down on goal. He pulled the ball back to Adamson who kept his cool before slotting home.

Middleton glanced a header wide late on, but the points were shared in the end.

It means the Colliers have now picked up four points in two tricky games against Heaton Stannington and Chester-le-Street Town.

Full-time: Chester-le-Street Town 3-3 Easington Colliery

Next up for me is Durham Women vs London Bees tomorrow.

Chester-le-Street Town: Wilson, Stephenson, Graver, Marron (c) (Megran, 73′), Walker, Greaves (Hepplewhite, 46′), Henderson, King, Robson, Clarkson (Wood, 79′), Turnbull

Unused subs: Oliver, Candlish

Easington Colliery: Finch, Ball, Metcalf, Pearson (c) (Robson, 81′), McGoldrick, Green, Talbot, MacDougall (Vincent, 58′), Pounder, Home-Jackson (Adamson 59′), Middleton

Unused subs: Garside, Lincoln Barrow

Admission: £5 adults, £3 concessions

Programme: £1

Attendance: 106

Referee: Lewis Reynolds


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s