Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts vs Heriot-Watt University

Until this season, I don’t think I had ever heard of Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts. Mind, I also hadn’t heard of the Fife Amateur League that they played in before this season. On the other hand, Heriot-Watt University are a football club that I like. I really enjoyed my visit to Oriam last season to watch Heriot-Watt. They played good football, were good hosts and were complimentary to my write up afterwards. That game at Oriam was definitely the most memorable of the Scottish hop last year, mainly just because it was indoors! Getting to Inverkeithing was the longest trip between the grounds on the Saturday. The ground is basic, but what I will say is that Inverkeithing may not have a great deal of facilities, but what they do have, they use well.

Match report:

Heroit-Watt claim three points at eight man Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts

Heriot-Watt University claimed all three points with a 2-4 win at eight man Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts on Saturday afternoon.

Lumbert Kateleza put the students ahead, and a superb goal from Neil Laurenson doubled their lead.

Calvin Muttitt added Heriot-Watt’s third, before Ryan Cowie pulled a goal back for Inverkeithing.

Ryan O’Connor’s goal pulled the hosts to within one, but Arron Singh’s late goal ensured Heriot-Watt of all three points.

Had Inverkeithing not had three men sent off in the second half, it could have been a different story!

It was the hosts who started the brighter. Alastair Griffin fired wide inside the opening minute for the Swifts, before Cowie shot wide when trying to lob the Heriot-Watt ‘keeper.

As the game settled down, Heriot-Watt came into it. They created their first chance in the 14th minute. Kateleza had an effort blocked, and the ball did end up in the net, but it was ruled offside.

Laurenson then had an effort that failed to find the target, before another Kateleza effort came to the same fate.

Having grown into the game, Heriot-Watt took the lead in the 28th minute. A back pass to Inverkeithing goalkeeper Ross Wortley saw him take his time, and Kateleza charged him down to steal possession and slot home.

As the hosts looked to respond, Cowie sent a dipping half volley wide.

In the 32nd minute, Heriot-Watt’s lead was doubled in stunning fashion. A cross found Laurenson in the penalty area, and his superb bicycle kick nestled into the far corner.

A good save from Callum Reid prevented Inverkeithing’s Scott Russell as the first half came to an end, before Wortley’s strong save at the other end prevented Muttitt.

Following the break, Griffin sent an early effort over for the hosts, before the visitors almost added a third. Muttitt drilled an effort off the post, and the rebound hit the crossbar with the ball somehow staying out.

However, a third did come in the 58th minute. A good flick from Kateleza found Muttitt and he beat his man to shoot. His original effort was saved, but he was there to convert the rebound.

With an hour on the clock, Inverkeithing were reduced to 10 men. Euan Miller was shown a second yellow card, but the majority of his teammates seemed convinced that it was only his first yellow.

Despite being down to 10 men, two quick goals got the hosts right back into it.

Cowie drilled an effort across goal and into the bottom corner to get their first, and O’Connor reduced to deficit to just one two minutes later. O’Connor ran through numerous defenders to latch onto the ball, and he poked it beyond the onrushing ‘keeper to make it 2-3.

Just as it looked as though the Swifts had got back into the game, they had another man sent off as John Francis was dismissed. You can decide why. I presume it was for saying something to the referee.

In the 81st minute, Heriot-Watt were awarded a penalty as Singh was brought down by goalkeeper Wortley. Singh took responsibility, but his effort was saved. However, to the frustration of Inverkeithing, the referee ordered a retake. Singh once again stepped up and this time he tucked the ball home.

In the aftermath of the goal, Cowie was sent off. Again, it was presumably for saying something to the referee who, in truth, had lost control of a game that was fairly simple to referee. People will look and see three red cards and presume it was dirty – that’s not the case at all.

With only eight men on the field, Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts couldn’t muster any further chances and Heriot-Watt took the points.

Full-time: Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts 2-4 Heriot-Watt University

Next up for me at the time of writing is Billingham Town vs Chester-le-Street Town on Tuesday night.

Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts: Wortley, Miller, Reid, Francis, O’Connor, Griffin, Strang, Hamilton, Russell (Morrison, 57′), Cowie, Murray (McCann, 65′)

Unused subs: Shaw, Kumar, Malapira, Wilkinson, Brough

Heriot-Watt University: Reid, Teviotdale, Munro, Barclay, Quinn (Hogg, 84′), Shrive, Higgins (Singh, 71′), Kateleza, Muttitt, Huxford (Duffy, 84′), Laurenson

Unused sub: Real de Asua de Azua

Admission: £6

Programme: £2

Attendance: 301

Burger: £2

Can of Irn Bru: 80p

Referee: Barry Reid

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s