Linlithgow Rose vs Jeanfield Swifts

Doing a whole groundhop gives quite a back log of write ups for me! I did consider doing one write up for the whole groundhop, but seeming as though I always do a write up for each game, I’ll keep it that way. It’ll mean I’ll have somewhere between 4,500 and 6,000 words in total about the groundhop! The week following the groundhop is looking quite busy too. I should be at Billingham Town vs Chester-le-Street Town on Tuesday night, and I’ll be at Brandon United vs Easington Colliery on Wednesday. Hopefully, I’ll also be at Consett’s friendly on Thursday. They’re playing Puerto del Carmen from Lanzarote in a friendly. It took me about an hour to find out, but I eventually found that they’re currently mid-table in the sixth tier of Spanish football. They play in the Liga Primera Regional Lanzarote Group 1. Anyway, back to this game. Linlithgow is a very nice ground. The seated stand is very well designed and quite impressive, and the stand opposite is just the same. It’s a very good ground and has a large grass bank behind one of the goals.

Match report:

Linlithgow edge out Jeanfield

Linlithgow Rose claimed the three points with a narrow 3-2 victory against Jeanfield Swifts on Saturday night.

Rhys Davies put Jeanfield ahead in the seventh minute, but Roddy MacLennan pulled the hosts level in the 16th minute.

Roddy MacLennan’s second in the 39th minute put Linlithgow ahead, but Connor McLaren pulled Jeanfield level early in the second half.

However, Thomas Coyne’s 64th minute penalty ensured Linlithgow took the points.

Upon kick-off, it was Jeanfield who created the first chance. A corner was punched as far clear as Paul Simpson, and he drilled an effort narrowly wide.

With their next chance, Jeanfield broke the deadlock. McLaren’s ball picked out Scott Smith and Linlithgow stopped thinking he was offside. With the assistant keeping his flag down, Smith charged down on goal. He unselfishly squared the ball to Davies whose simple finish put the visitors ahead.

However, it didn’t take the hosts too long to respond. With quarter of an hour played, Roddy MacLennan darted through the Jeanfield defence before finishing well.

Linlithgow went close to taking the lead in the 21st minute. Kevin McKinlay lifted a free-kick towards the back post and it was headed back across goal. Jeanfield’s Lee Jeans rose to meet the ball, but his header went just over his own goal.

Although there was plenty of effort and it was an entertaining game, there weren’t too many clear cut chances in the first half.

On the half hour mark, a slight scrap led to two bookings, before Jeanfield’s Fraser Smith tired his luck with a very ambitious effort. He went from goal with a free-kick from 10 yards into his own half, and Linlithgow ‘keeper Michael McKinven had to backtrack to save.

In the 39th minute, Linlithgow took the lead. Coyne helped a ball onto Roddy MacLennan and he confident finish put the Rose ahead.

Their lead could have been doubled before the break. Owen Ronald’s effort was deflected just wide. The resulting corner found Gary Thom who headed just over.

Following the break, it took Jeanfield just 40 seconds to equalise. Deans’ great ball over the top gave McLaren a chase. He did well to get there before the ‘keeper, and he stabbed an effort into the net.

Simpson then went close for Jeanfield, before Linlithgow’s Ross Barbour headed over.

Jamie Reid then went close for Jeanfield with a 25 yard effort curling just over the top corner.

McLaren was next to go close for Jeanfield, but McKinven saved his effort.

In a good spell for the visitors, Rannoch Ramsey then fired wide.

On the hour mark, Linlithgow went close to regaining their lead. Roddy MacLennan did very well to get a shot away, but a crucial block sent his effort wide.

With 63 minutes played, Linlithgow regained their lead from the penalty spot. Jeanfield goalkeeper Mark Mitchell was penalised for a foul in the penalty area. Coyne took responsibility from the spot, and he dispatched it to regain the hosts’ lead.

An array of substitutions then followed, before Michael Kennedy hit the wall with a dangerous free-kick for the visitors.

Coyne was next to try his luck for Linlithgow, who knew they needed another goal with Jeanfield looking threatening.

With just four minutes to play, the crossbar came to Linlithgow’s rescue. Lewis Mackie’s thunderbolt from 25 yards had the ‘keeper beaten, but it bounced back off the crossbar.

Jeanfield were pushing late on, and they possibly deserved to equalise.

Another dangerous Jeanfield shot was blocked in the 90th minute, before McLaren fired wide.

Six minutes of added time was played, but Jeanfield couldn’t find an equaliser and the hosts took the points.

The result means Linlithgow are five points behind leaders Broxburn Athletic with a game in hand, while Jeanfield fall to fourth with Camelon climbing to third.

Full-time: Linlithgow Rose 3-2 Jeanfield Swifts

Next up for me at the time of writing is Billingham Town vs Chester-le-Street Town on Tuesday night.

Linlithgow Rose: McKinven, Gray, Turnbull, Thom, McKinlay (Smith, 66′), Barbour, Ronald, Ruari MacLennan, Strickland (Shields, 78′), Coyne, Roddy MacLennan

Unused subs: Sloan, Marley, McKinnon

Jeanfield Swifts: Mitchell, Reid, Kennedy, Whitehead, Deans, Fraser Smith, Simpson (Scott, 72′), Fergus (Mackie, 66′), Scott Smith, Connor McLaren, Davies (Regan McLaren, 66′)

Unused subs: Woolley, Ramsey, Townsley, Dewar

Admission: £6

Programme: £2

Attendance: You decide. The club announced 530. Groundhop UK announced 618

Steak pie: £2

Referee: Colin Drummond

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s