Easington Colliery vs Shildon

Colliers exit FA Vase despite spirited performance

Easington Colliery exited the FA Vase with a narrow 1-2 defeat at home to Shildon on Saturday afternoon.

Shildon took the lead in very controversial style in the 13th minute, before doubling their lead in the 36th minute through former Collier Aidan Heywood.

Liam Adamson halved the deficit in the second half, and despite a dominant second half, the Colliers couldn’t find an equaliser.

It was certainly a game of two halves – mainly due to the wind.

Shildon were definitely the better side in the first half, while the Colliers were in command in the second half.

Jack Pounder returned to the side for the Colliers, while there was also a first appearance of the season for Kyle Donaldson in goal.

Upon kick-off, it was a case of corners for the opening five minutes. Shildon had three, while the Colliers had one. All of Shildon’s were dealt with, while Easington’s corner was cleared as far as Brennan Ball whose 30-yard effort was saved by Shaun Newbrook.

Shildon’s first chance came in the eighth minute when Daniel Craggs worked room to shoot. He struck his effort well, but Donaldson did well to save.

In the 13th minute, in controversial style, Shildon took the lead. A Shildon man ran in front of Ball and went down with no contact from Ball, and to Ball’s amazement, the referee awarded a free-kick. Craggs took responsibility of the free-kick, and his wind assisted free-kick lifted over Donaldson and dropped into the net.

Kurt Matthews then had an effort saved by Donaldson, before Craggs fired an effort out of the ground.

In the 27th minute, the Colliers had a big chance to equalise. Good football between Simon Todd and Liam Adamson carved open the Shildon defence to play Pounder in, but his powerful effort was just too high.

Billy Greulich-Smith and Heywood were both then denied by Donaldson, before Donaldson prevented his former teammate Heywood again soon after.

However, with Heywood’s next chance, he got on the scoresheet. The former Collier picked up possession in the corner of the penalty area and quickly cut in before sending a lovely curled effort into the far corner.

Craggs should have added a third for Shildon two minutes later. A massive defensive error gifted him possession, and he took the ball round Donaldson. All he had to do was slot the ball into the net, but he opted for power and blasted an effort towards the North Sea.

Josh Home-Jackson and Adamson both had half chances for the Colliers as the first half came to an end, but there was plenty of work to do in the second half.

Following the break, the Colliers could have had a chance within 40 seconds. Ball whipped a perfect cross into the penalty area, but Home-Jackson just say missed his attempted header.

Todd then had a free-kick saved by Newbrook, before superb defending from Jak Ashton denied Shildon of a chance in the 51st minute. Seconds later, Greulich-Smith had an effort saved by Donaldson.

Following a positive start to the second half, the Colliers halved the deficit in the 59th minute. A loose back pass was pounced on by Adamson who rounded Newbrook and kept his composure to find the net.

The Colliers now had belief, and they were playing well.

Both sets of supporters were now quite vocal, and it led to a good atmosphere and a proper football match at the Welfare Park.

Joe Hassanin then had a half chance for the Colliers, before Jordon Southern had a decent chance saved by Newbrook.

In the 67th minute, Adamson had possession in a very good position. However, despite Home-Jackson not being involved in play, the assistant referee raised his flag to flag Home-Jackson offside and play was stopped!

Greulich-Smith then had a volleyed effort saved by Donaldson, before Newbrook just about got away with a loose touch as Hassanin closed him down at the other end.

Adamson and Home-Jackson both had further half chances come and go as time wore on.

At this point, a rattled Shildon were just looking to kill time.

An Easington corner was headed wide in the 83rd minute, before Southern had an effort crucially blocked from 12 yards.

Seconds later, Ashton went very close with a similar effort to how Shildon scored their first. Ashton’s cross-cum-shot caught the wind and drifted towards the far top corner. It forced Newbrook to drastically back track and he was just about to claw the ball behind for a corner.

The resulting corner was headed wide by Southern.

Todd had a free-kick saved in injury time, and that proved to be that as Shildon held on for the win.

Despite defeat, it was a spirited performance from the Colliers who have certainly upped their game in recent weeks.

Full-time: Easington Colliery 1-2 Shildon

Next up for me is possibly East Durham Blue Belles vs Chester-le-Street Waldridge Park Ladies tomorrow.

Easington Colliery: Donaldson, Ball, Ashton, Pearson (c), Garside, McGoldrick, Home-Jackson, Todd, Pounder (Hassanin, 68′), Southern, Adamson

Unused subs: Proctor, MacDougall, Mitchell, Turnbull

Shildon: Newbrook, Heywood, Lavery, Liddle, Curl, Mulligan (Palmer, 75′), Craggs, Trotter, (c), Greulich-Smith, Matthews, Robson (Naylor, 75′)

Unused subs: Steel, Reay, Aldsworth, Eckley-Aldsworth, Bancroft

Admission: £5 adults, £2 concessions

Programme: £1.50

Attendance: 140

Referee: Kevin McKitterick

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s